What you need:
- 1 small-ish bottle (or however much vanilla extract you want to make).
- Enough vodka to fill the bottle(s).
- About 2 vanilla beans per dl of vodka.
How you do it:
- Take a smallish bottle and fill it with vodka.
- Split the vanilla beans and chop to smaller pieces if needed. Add them to the bottle.
- Put the bottle away somewhere and forget about it, the longer the better, at least a couple of months. (I forgot about mine for more than 6 months.)
- When you find it again you have vanilla extract! Enjoy!
What you can further do:
- Strain the vanilla extract to get rid of the vanilla bean remnants.
- Add sugar syrup or glucose syrup, or some other syrup you like, or honey, according to taste. Shake well, until the syrup dissolves.
- Pour into a bottle and let rest in a dark and cool place for at least a month.
- Now you have vanilla extract liqueur! About the yummiest stuff on the planet, if you like vanilla!